Basement Windows @ The New Shop

Although I was concerned about getting the inside of my new workshop figured out, Eric was intent on working on much more important things.

This is one of our side basement windows:

You can see the window is broken and old and pretty much in poor shape.  Eric took it out, digging around the foundation, where he will put a window well to stop water from getting in.

Here is the new window installed:

Obviously, the trim around it and the whole house needs painting, but this alone is a big improvement.

Of course that is not the only basement window needing to be replaced.

Today it poured rain.  And we found a major problem.  The house is leaking through the bottom of the foundation, and halfway down the foundation.  Our basement had a LOT of water in it.  Thankfully the sump pump is working to remove the water, but we will need to do some major digging and repair the foundation.  Husband is not happy!

Breaking Through the New Shop Wall

This is where I left off, the back room was like this and it was time to tear apart the built in desk.

I went to move the picture off the wall, and look what was behind it… a safe!

We then took apart the desk and the wall surrounding it.  There is a chimney going up in the wall, something I wish had not been in the middle of my new workshop, but we’ll have to work around that.

Laura smashed the wall with a sledgehammer (I think she’s seen too many DIY shows where people enjoy doing this!)

Here’s the view from the other side:

I tried to find where the drywall screws were so that I could unscrew the wall as much as possible.  We worked our way across the wall.

The progress was great, but there is ducting in the cavity beside the chimney.  Behind that (in the old doorway where the ladder is) there is a small sink in a vanity along with the plumbing for a toilet. That will have to come out.  And I need to find a place to put my table saw so that it won’t run into the chimney.

That’s where we are at right now.

Stay tuned for more…

Starting To Renovate the Workshop

We went to the new house that will be my workshop as soon as we got the keys Friday afternoon.  I was excited to see it again.  Unfortunately it looked dirtier than I remembered, but anyway, I knew it was a project and that it needed a lot of work.

The water had been turned off at the house a few months ago and we (meaning Eric, since I had no clue how to do that) attempted to start it going again.  He flipped a switch but the water pump would not draw from the well.  He knew that we had to get some water from our own house a block away in order to “prime the pump” and get it going again.  We filled up some jugs of water and took them back to the shop and, after quite a lot of pouring water and switching switches and opening valves, he did get it to work!

The pump is in the basement which is a complete maze of wires, pipes, ductwork, rotten beams and cobwebs.  It is very poorly organized.  I did not take any photos, but think of those DIY shows you see where the place looks dirty and there are parts hanging everywhere, and that’s what it looks like.

Today, Saturday, daughter Laura and I went to start cleaning.  Upstairs is the main bathroom, which I figured I would clean so that I could use it.  There is no window in the bathroom, the floors are stick-on tiles.  Actually, the whole bath enclosure is also stick-on tiles.  For anyone who doesn’t know this, do NOT use stick-on tiles in a bath enclosure!!!

Speaking of stick-on tiles, they are in all of the upstairs 3 bedrooms and hallway.  Laura was helping to scrape them off with an ice scraper.  The plywood underneath is very sticky… anyone know how to get off the stickiness?

Since this house will be a workshop for me, I need a room big enough to put my large power tools. By that I mean tablesaw, jointer, planer, drill press and compound mitre saw.  I also have sanding tools and a few routers.

The room at the front of the house to the left of the front door is not large enough for all that.

In the photo above, through the wall to the right, is a back room that was used for a computer and perhaps as an office?

Here you can see the built in desk, which is on the back of the wall on the right, in the above photo.

So, all I need to do is remove the desk and knock down the wall, right? And that will open up the two rooms to give me a bigger workshop.

Of course, as often happens in those house renovation shows like “Love It or List It” or “Property Brothers,” it’s not always that easy!

I just wanted to get a sledge hammer and knock through the wall, but Eric said… we had better make sure that we can do that safely first.

More tomorrow, stay tuned…

Sharing at the following blogs:
Dwellings
Coastal Charm
Elizabeth & Co.

ANNOUNCEMENT – New Workshop!

As my regular readers will know, I had a beautiful workshop in Ontario, but moved last fall to Prince Edward Island where I have been without one.
We have just purchased a house on the Main St. in the small town where we live.  It is just around the corner, a four minute walk from our house.  This will be my new workshop and, in time, hopefully contain a small place to sell my creations from.  We take possession today!

It needs some paint, a new roof, and maybe even a new heating system.  I will be tearing down some walls as well so stayed tuned for all the updates!

The Dedicated House

 Sharing at:
Shabby Art Boutique
The Dedicated House