I have people coming into my shop looking for furniture so I decided to make a few more pieces. This is a hall or sofa table.
So, in other words I had to solve for x and add a bit for overhang so the top of the legs which are screwed into the bottom of the plywood, are covered 1/2″ by the pine sides.
If you recall, I was remaking two arms for an old wooden chair that a customer, Jean, brought to me. I wrote about it here in August. This chair was made in Maine but moved to Prince Edward Island with Jean who bought an old schoolhouse here. She uses it on the sun porch in her summer home about a 20 minute drive from my shop.
Firstly, I apologize if you earlier got the photos from this blog post without any description. I’m still figuring out blogging on the iPad.
I was contacted by someone locally who had a window that she wanted made in to a coffee table. Could I do that? Of course!
The window was brought in and I worked directly from it for measurements. The customer wanted it made out of pine and the height to be about 18″ with the window on top.
The four legs are just over 1 1/2″ square and I used my router to make mortises on the top for the aprons to fit into.
The side and end aprons have the corresponding tenons on the end, which I did with my table saw:
Every piece is sanded smooth before assembly.
I glue the tenons in to the mortise in pairs, so I have two ends that look like this one:
Then I glue in the side two aprons and the two lower rail pieces that will hold the bottom shelf:
The pieces that make up the shelf are screwed into the bottom rail and I added two figure 8 connectors on opposite sides (they are screwed to the top of the apron from above and then screwed into the window from below):
My customer wanted to paint the table herself, so it is left as unpainted pine.The window then sits on top:
I have been working for the last couple of days on a counter for my retail shop. Because I don’t have much square footage in that room I wanted a counter that was not too large. I read an article a few years ago about selling at craft shows, which said that when you have customers it is best not to sit nor display your crafts at a regular table height. I found this to be true, because customers are usually standing, and if you are sitting on a chair, they are looking down on you. So… my counter would be made at a height that I could use while seated on a bar stool.
I decided to use 1″ x 4″ wood and paint the wood different colours and then distress them. This is how I make a lot of my products, with the distressed look.
Since I am on an island, I chose beach type colours… white, two shades of turquoise and two shades of blue.
I laid out the pieces of wood to see how many I would need side-by-side to make the front of my counter and figured that ten pieces would be best. That ends up being about 36″ wide. I used only four pieces for the sides and it is U-shaped.
The top was made with four pieces of the same 1″ x 6″ boards, which kind of look like barn board, they are a nice grey-brown. The top overhangs the front and sides by about 1 1/4″.
Step right up, I’d be happy to serve you!
Darn… now I have to find a stool, I’m not sure I want to make one, but who knows?
Here’s a close-up:
Even though I’m a carpenter/cabinetmaker and I love wood… this is too much wood on wood!
So, first I sanded the chair seats because they were very worn. I did this outside last December 27th, before the snow fell:
As an aside, here is what it looks like out there today!!!!
After sanding I brushed on a couple of coats of shellac (again, this was just the seats). This is the best thing for keeping knots from bleeding through.
Once those were done I used Gail’s (My Repurposed Life) chalky paint , which is where you make your own primer using Plaster of Paris, a bit of water, and latex paint. Then I coated the chairs with the same latex paint I had used in the primer. For the table I only painted the apron and legs and left the top as it was.
We haven’t done anything else yet in the dining room, but you can see the difference that painting the table base and chairs has made to the room.
Do you think it was a good idea to paint this table and chairs?
If anyone is keeping track, I really should be posting part 2 of our Biloxi trip. Since Angie at Knick of Time is having a Farmhouse special link up on Friday and the topic is Farmhouse Tables, I quickly put this together so that I could share it there. Stay tuned for Biloxi part 2.
I’m sharing this at:
Holy crap… a whole month has gone by since my “Outhouse Signs” post. (Pun intended)
This is a post about something I started and never finished until recently. I am prone to do that.
Over FOUR years ago I made my husband an Adirondack chair with his favourite hockey team emblem painted on it. He likes the Montreal Canadiens.
I blogged about his chair and how I made it, in December 2009.
Now, the plan was that the second chair I was making at the same time, was for myself and would have the Toronto Maple Leafs logo on it. I have been a Leaf fan since I was a teenager… and they still haven’t won a Stanley Cup!
My thought was, that I would paint my chair white with the blue logo on it. Since the team is so lousy, I had second thoughts and figured my chair would look nice sitting outside my shop with some flowers painted on it instead. My husband disagreed and insisted I go with the Leaf logo. Being the good wife that I am, I painted the Toronto Maple Leafs team logo on my chair.
Here’s both our chairs, sitting outside my workshop: